Sunday, April 11, 2010

Great Horned Owl Nest

This evening my friend and I went to photograph a pair of nesting Great Horned Owls. When we approached the nest the adult flew from its nearby perch but landed a couple hundred yards away. It was difficult to find the owl after it flew but after a thorough search the bird was relocated. It was almost impossible to get a photo of the adult; however, I was able to get some photos of the young owls. The nest was approx 8o' high so this was the best I could achieve with my set up (Canon 30D 300mm+ 1.4X teleconverter). The owlets would pop their heads up every now and again which allowed me to get this shot. As we were leaving the adult owl was mobbed by crows, but the bird stayed perched and didn't seem too bothered. I hope to photograph the owls a few more times before they leave the nest.

Great horned Owls (Original)

Great Horned Owls (cropped from original)


No comments:

Post a Comment